【17】 Surviving a Tsunami
1） Characteristics of a Tsunami
2） Damage Caused by Tsunami
- People drown and houses are destroyed.
- Objects are washed away, crushing people and blocking roads and waterways.
- Fires Break Out.
- Harbors are strewn with debris and ships are not able to dock.
3） How to Escape the Tsunami
|Tremors||After 100 seconds or so, the large tremors should die down|
|Get Ready||DO NOT wait for instructions. Collect your pre-prepared emergency supplies (glasses, medicine, portable radio, torch etc) and evacuate immediately|
|RUN!||Run as fast as you can to the closest high ground.
If there is no high ground close by, climb to at least the 3rd floor of a steel-reinforced concrete building. As a rule, do not use a car to evacuate.
|Wait for 6 hours||A Tsunami is a series of waves. Do not leave your safe location until you confirm via radio that the Tsunami alarm/warning has been lifted. If you cannot confirm this, wait at least 6 hours before moving to lower ground.|
4） Preparing for a Tsunami
- Find your closest evacuation point.
- Decide upon a route to get to this point. It is best to actually walk the route in advance.
- Remember what the sign for a Tsunami Evacuation Point looks like.